Sunday 27 November 2011

Goals.

I know that New Year Resolutions are somethings that need to be done at the beginning of each year. I am not a huge fan of that. I believe that as individuals we really need to have goals at all times. With that mindset, I have set goals in the middle of some month to keep my house cleaner/make my bed first thing in the morning. Ever since that date, my bed / house has been cleaner than before. I do not remember the date when I fixed that goal in mind, but I do know that inspiration stuck one fine day to have a cleaner place and I have stuck to that since then... So with the year-end of 2011 round the corner ( one month remaining of course...), I decided that I would set some goals for the next year and add/delete goals as and when I accomplish some of them

Here they are :

1. To open a new RD in January : this has a time based goal of January 2012 because by then, we would have been done with our North India tour and we have already finished our tax investments for this financial year, thus the remaining money I have in my emergency fund can be put into an FD/RD that we are hoping to start as a new emergency fund for the whole year. Last year I had saved 3L with an RD, this year I am hoping to at least save 3L if not more.

2. To save Rs.50000/- for childbirth : My husband and I are going to try for a baby the next year. If we cannot afford the child-birth costs, apart from the child-rearing costs, we both have no business getting pregnant. We have both spoken to our medical representatives with our medical insurance as well as the place I work. We have met with a gynaecologist that I am comfortable with. She is in mid-60s in age and has delivered more than 500 babies in her 35 year career as an obstetrician and gynaecologist. She is an old-fashioned lady well-versed in the latest technologies and medicines available but one that still prefers a natural birth over C-section. The husband and I are extremely comfortable with her, and we are waiting for nature to tell us when we are going to be parents! Blow baby dust my way, will you!!

3. To increase emergency fund from 4L to 7L next year : This year we had to pay off two of our existing loans, this is because my husband and I believe that now that we are loan-free, and all of our income goes into our retirement accounts, savings etc. we are now in a position to be able to afford nothing but the best for our kids in the future. This year, in spite of all of our loan payments, and after all of our retirement savings, tax payments etc. we were able to have 4L in our emergency fund. Next year, we hope to increase the emergency fund amount to 7L :)

4. To become fit :  This was a new year resolution of 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010, and 2011. Unfortunately this will be a resolution this year as well. I wish I could tell you that I am fit and healthy. But I am not. I have made drastic changes to my lifestyle over the course of these years but I am still 5kgs overweight and if I plan on having a healthy diet, I need to reduce my weight sooner and do something about it. I hope to not have this in my list next year. This year should be my last year where weight becomes a mandated item in list of goals.

5. To Blog : Already Started :)

6. To travel to Dubai / Singapore-Malaysia next year end : Need to budget 1.5L for that. Mostly, would take out of my estimated 7L Emergency Fund.

So at least I am happy that I have listed this online in a public forum and every month I can contribute to how I have been performing towards these goals.





No comments:

Post a Comment