Friday 16 March 2012

Weighty- issues

So how does one handle pregnancy in India ? I do not know... But in the last 4 months of being pregnant, I have made my share of mistakes that I would like to share so that someone else shall benefit from it. I had cysts on my ovaries and so having conceived so soon after the operation in itself is a blessing.. Now, my doc also believed this was a blessing and I had to sustain the kid full-term at ANY cost. Her word of advice : take bed rest for the first 3 months... Now, we all know the first month of pregnancy is the month we conceive ;) and of course, I was exercising all through that month. Coupled with the good-news of being pregnant and the advice to take bed rest , I ate (for 2 -as I was psychologically confident that my baby needed more food) and slept all through my second month of pregnancy. I ate my 3 course meals (2 times a day), hearty breakfast, and lousy snacks obtained mostly from the bakery ( everything having butter and cream..). It tasted good. It felt great to eat all the time with no exercise (I had also taken permission to work from home that month..). I ended up putting on 5 kgs on that one month.

That was when I knew something was not right. Today 2 months later, I am still trying to eat right and tell my body that I ate too much that month and I am sure that my 5 inch baby does not really need as much food as I am putting in... I went through a couple of blogs... And the only conclusion I have come to is that I DO need to exercise. Pregnancy is definitely not a health condition for me to stop exercising. My doctor, who I am sure meant well, was wrong. I do not need bed rest. All I need to do is be careful that I do not lift heavy things, climb stairs slowly but maintain at least a half hour of exercise every single day.

I ate better in the third month of pregnancy. Replaced bakery items with fruits. Munched fruits and fruit-juices everytime my baby (or my mind psychologically ) carved food. And exercised 2-3 times a week. The third month I had gained 1 kg. Which was kinda normal...

I am yet to exercise every single day... Though on an average with the onset of the 4th month and the end of the first trimester round the corner, I am exercising 4-5 times a week. I have hired a cook to help me with food-prep. She has promised to pack fresh fruits and salads for lunch apart from my daily dose of rice ,chappati and sabzi for lunch. At least with her ensuring that I eat right, I hope to limit my weight gain during the pregnancy.

I will be paying the cook Rs. !500/- from April onwards and this is a cut in my budget but then Ido need all the help I can need during this pregnancy. And one of the benefits of living in India in an upper middle class family is to be able to afford help. I am indeed fortunate to be here at this time. I know how hard it is for so many others, who have no help and are still able to somehow juggle office work and maintain a work-life balance with their spouse during pregnancy  which is so difficult as you are hit by so many pregnancy harmones. Ireally commend them.

I believe in being frugal. But comfort overrules every thing else. If a help in the form of a cook, results in me spending more on eating good food from home rather than splurging for food outside that is going to be unhealthy... then paying the cook Rs. 1500/- per month is more than worth it.

That's it from now! Do take care...

No comments:

Post a Comment