Monday 28 November 2011

An act of patience

Yesterday evening, after I got home from work, I went to the terrace to get the dry clothes in ( I line dry my clothes). Unfortunately, my maid had washed my husband's t-shirt (with white and blue stripes) along with an orange washcloth that gives out its lovely orange color, thus resulting the t-shirt to have splashes of orange all over.

I wish I could tell you that this is the first time that this has ever happened. But my maid is quite irresponsible in this situation, and this is my husband's fourth shirt that has been spoilt in this fashion. I was almost in tears when I saw this, so my father-in-law suggested that I should just try some lime juice and Rin soap and soak it for half an hour. I did. No change.

When my husband came to know about it, he got upset as I expected. But looking at my face which should have shown an equal amount of despair, he suggested that I not yell at my maid, but explain it to her that this was not acceptable any more.

This morning, when she came around, I showed it to her stating that since this is the fourth time she has been caught with the same error, and I was really disappointed. I did not raise my voice like the previous times. I was firm, but polite, and I somehow think I drove the point across. Because I did not yell , the maid looked at my face and said to me "Madam, I am disappointed too that this has happened, I will be more careful", and I realized that she was remorseful and she did not get defensive.

And it was a lesson in patience for me. I had last night to think about this. I really like my maid, she is efficient in her duties and loyal. So I knew that I did not want to make her feel defensive by yelling at her as I have done in the past, everyone makes mistakes after all. Now I just need to remember this every time I get angry and pissed off with someone as things can be resolved in a calm, patient manner as long as I am firm, but polite when I put my point across :)

Lesson Learnt!

No comments:

Post a Comment